For more than fifty years, the crew of the USS Enterprise has been exploring space, seeking out new life and new civilizations. Gene Roddenberry created the original series that wanted to explore a future in which humans had pushed farther into outer space than they had at that time. In this utopian world, people of any race or gender can become anything they want to be.
The Beginning of Star Trek
The Star Trek series is one of the most popular and long-running science fiction television series. Gene Roddenberry created the original idea for Star Trek in 1966, who wanted to explore a future in which humans had pushed farther into outer space than they had at that time. In this utopian world, people of any race or gender can become anything they want to be.
This idea has been so influential that many other TV shows and movies have followed suit to represent such a futuristic utopia. One example would be the film Elysium starring Matt Damon, which follows a similar storyline where all diseases have been cured, and technology has developed to create an almost perfect society without poverty or hunger. Roddenberry’s original idea for Star Trek has had a significant impact on many other works of science fiction.
The Original Casts
- William Shatner as James T. Kirk, the captain of the starship, USS Enterprise. Leonard Nimoy as Spock, the first officer.
- DeForest Kelley as Dr McCoy, the ship’s chief medical officer
- Nichelle Nichols as Lt. Uhura, a communications officer, and translator on the starship’s bridge
- James Doohan as Montgomery “Scotty” Scott, the chief engineer
- Nichelle Nichols as Uhura, the communications officer on the bridge of the USS Enterprise (the original cast)
- Walter Koenig as Ensign Pavel Chekov, navigator and Starfleet Academy student
- George Takei as Lt. Hikaru Sulu, helmsman of the Federation starship USS Enterprise in Star Trek: The Original Series
- Majel Barrett as Christine Chapel
- Grace Lee Whitney as Janice Rand, the yeoman who is promoted to officer rank during the series.
- Roger Holloway as Captain John Christopher, captain of the starship Exeter
- Eddie Paskey as Lt. Leslie, a navigator, and helmsman of the Federation starship USS Exeter
- John Winston as Lt. Kyle (episode: The Corbomite Maneuver, The Man Trap
- William Blackburn as Hadley, the helmsman of the Federation starship USS Farragut
This series is about a famous television show that was created 50 years ago. The science-fiction show Star Trek focuses on the crew of a starship and their adventures exploring space.
The original Star Trek series ran for three seasons from 1966 to 1969. An estimate that more than 100 million people had seen at least one episode of the series in syndication.
Star Trek has: It spawned movies, books, video games, and fan organizations such as NASA’s Space Foundation  whose membership includes astronauts; over 860 fans have been named “honorary Starfleet officers.”  A franchise that will live long and prosper